Friday, September 21, 2007

Ten Years and a Name

"Lord, I just want to serve You, and I will go wherever You want me to go." That was the sole desire that filled my heart and my prayer ten years ago today when I answered the altar-call at my church. It wasn't a "come forward and get saved" call, but answering the call to leave all and follow my Lord... wherever. Somehow, ten years on (and five years living overseas) it seems fitting that I get a new name today.

Now I say this a bit tongue-in-cheek because my "new" name is just a typo between latin letters and the same letters in Cyrillic. After opening a bank account and being handed the bankbook, I noticed that my first name was written "Царлзн" aka. "Tsarlzn". This was due to the keyboard letters being different and now this is my new name on an official document. "Tsarlzn." Hmm. Has an interesting ring to it. ;)

I have to smile, though, because it seems fitting to get a "new" name on this personally, spiritually, significant day. I also smile because I know that someday I will receive a real "new" name and that it won't be a mistake. It is one chosen just for me by my Lord, and He knows me best.

And unlike the bank book, the name written into the Lamb's book will not be a typo.

Today has been a day of reflection, grateful and so amazed at His Grace through the years, of anticipation for what things lay ahead in the future, and of receiving a new name. At the end of the day, though, today must circle around to what is still in my heart and filling my prayer: to serve Him and go wherever, to live faithfully before Him and, ultimately, the desire to honor His Name above all.

***
Where are you in this process? Do you know Him? Do you know your name is written in His book? What has He called you to in your life? Are you being faithful to Him and that call?

0 comments: