Friday, October 10, 2008

A Night at the Symphony

When I was a little girl my parents used to drag me to the symphony each week... inevitably I'd curl up in my chair and sleep, too young to appreciate the experience. Now almost 30 years later, living in Skopje, I enjoy going to the symphony and I can assure you that there is no sleeping--especially last night.

The Macedonia Philharmonic opened the season with a night of Beethoven's Fives: Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 5 and, my all-time favorite, the famous Symphony No. 5 in C-Minor (aka. Dah dah dah daaaaahhh.... or "fate knocking at the door."). It was a wonderful concert! Of course it was even more fun because one of my friends is one of the musicians (though I confess I'm a little envious that she gets to be literally in the middle of the music.) :)

The pianist featured for the Concerto was Tzimon Barto of the US. He didn't look like a typical pianist... in fact we thought he looked a bit like Arnold Schwarzenegger... and the way he played! He was on fire pounding away at the ivories with such force that I thoroughly expected to see strings fly! (And apparently they did in practice!) Yet at the times his touch was so light and flowing it was as if the piano whispered... amazing. Bravo.


And as far as Beethoven's Symphony No. 5?? Words escape me. Bravo seems too inadequate. The conductor, Janush Pshibilski of Poland, was quite enjoyable and did a wonderful job. And what a joy it was to finally hear my favorite symphony live! I got chills and caught my breath several times!! And by the final movement I wanted to jump to my feet and cheer! Alas, I held back my ovation until the end, joining many others. :)

After the concert some friends and I went to the local Mexican restaurant, Amigo's, and enjoyed a great meal with great company. :) Ah, such was a wonderful night spent with friends at the symphony.

0 comments: