Friday, October 1, 2010

Even the Trees are Confused

October 1st. The city heat gets turned on in 14 days and in years past we've been wishing it were already turned on by October 1st. This year has been so different. Skopje is actually seeming to have a Fall. Shocking because the common sentiment (aka joke) here is that Macedonia has only two seasons: winter and summer.

Just like last year our end of summer church potluck in August came a day after record high 100+ degree weather and in just 3 days it was already about 30 degrees cooler. But then, unlike last year, it got warm again. Sure, it never got over 100 again, but it's been consistently warm and humid.

So here we are at the beginning of October still (shockingly) wearing short sleeves despite the fact the first day of Fall is a week or so behind us. And all this has apparently completely confused some of the trees because they're blooming like it's Spring! Seriously, the site makes me laugh out loud, because it's just so, for lack of a better word, chudno! (Translation: strange.)

Poor trees. They're so confused. But I sure don't mind. It's kinda fun to see the beautiful blooms and bright green signs of life in contrast to all the orange and red signs of death (or winter hibernation).

To be honest, though, I'm not ready for the deep chill of winter to descend yet. Just not quite prepared to put away the capri's, flip-flops and the warmth of the sun on my face. =)

3 comments:

Mya said...

This is going backwards but I am playing catch up. You asked a question (I just found) about St. Francis. St. Francis of Assisi - feast day October 4. He was a deacon, preacher and founder of the Franciscans. I think he is mostly known for being the patron saint of animals. Many churches have a blessing of animals service close to his feast day.

Your bread - how exciting. I truly mean it. I am lucky in making a decent piece of toast, so I am way too timid to try making bread, although it is something that I have always wanted to master. When I see that a recipe includes yeast I usually stop right there.
Now you can introduce your Macedonian friends to the delights of San Fran. Next you might be taking orders for gifts!

So you are having Indian Summer, or perhaps Indian Spring. In this part of Georgia we do have a lovely fall - my favorite season.
Ours, as far as the drop in heat, began this week, and only a few trees show any signs of color change. But, the green in the leaves is more of a yellow green now. It will all change - usually the height of the "leaf season" is about the end of October.
I hope the 'back and forth' with your seasons will not distrub the trees too much.

Mya said...

Dropped you a line, but am not sure if you have not had time to pick it up, or if you did not get it.
I was just commenting on fall, and how much we were welcoming any drop in heat, etc.
Found out that you asked me about St. Francis - he is my most recent post.

Happy Week

Lv2Hike said...

Hi Mya,
THanks for your comments on my post and for the info on St Francis. Sorry it took me so long to respond... as you can see from my blogs or, rather, lack of them, I'm not blogging much these days. Too busy. :( Georgia sounds nice in the Fall. I've only ever been there in the summer and that was so hot and humid I could barely stand it! ;) I did enjoy my time there, though, AND my first taste of grits! =)