Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Taste of Home!

The local cuisine here in Macedonia is really wonderful, to be honest--especially the skara (aka. grilled meat), bread and shopska (aka. cucumber, tomato and shredded feta salad).  However, there are just some days that I miss a good California club sandwich, a non-mixed meat burger without fries stuffed in the bun, or Cali-Mex flavors.  You know, a taste of home.  Those days tend to pop up more often during the holiday's, btw.

Well, Sunday after church while enjoying macciatos and conversation with friends, one couple mentioned finding a new restaurant called, "Taste of California."  Yes, I admit that my head snapped up and the "where?!" was out of my mouth before I could even fully process the comment.  Then came their description of real nachos, homemade guacamole, salsa, real burgers, sandwiches and, be still my heart, Cali-Mex! They enjoyed it so much they went two days in a row! [Seriously, I must admit that my mouth is watering even as I type this!] 

Yesterday another friend and I decided to track this place down and to give it a try.  Oh my goodness!  Let me just say that it was WONDERFUL.  We ordered nachos and taquitos to share/try and a club sandwich.  It was all delicious, but I must say that so far my favorite is the club: grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato, melted cheese, bacon and advocado on lightly toasted, homemade bread... the proportions were perfect and the flavor was.... a taste of home!

Yep!  You guessed it!  This California girl has signed off on this "Taste of California" in Skopje, Macedonia as being pretty authentic and a welcomed taste of home.  For those who are interested, it's located on Ortse Nikolov between DM and Hotel Tim's.

For those who are interested, it's located on Ortse Nikolov between DM and Hotel Tim's.


3 comments:

Mya said...

Your excitement comes through loud and clear, and I am happy for you. I can imagine that though you enjoy the food there, it would be nice, and I guess comfy, to have food that you associate with home.

Do you ever get back to the states?

From the picture it looks like this restaurant is above street level. For your sake, I hope it is very popular and will continue to stay in business.

joshua said...

excellent. i am glad you enjoyed the food.

next time you go, ask for party marty or kelso. tell them that their friends from arizona say hello.

and make sure they are using "tommy mayo". party marty made me drive him around phoenix looking for this specific brand of mayo that he could not find anywhere in san diego.

happy holidays

Lv2Hike said...

Mya: I must confess that this is my new favorite place.... I've yet to have something I don't love. :) And I'm unable to pick a favorite. Yes, it's getting pretty popular as word spreads... each time I've been there more people have filled the place. Honestly, I don't know how the owners can keep up with the demand... but I sure hope they do! Besides, they are a couple of the sweetest people ever as well.
Joshua: I'll be sure to pass along your hellos and chiding on the mayo. :) LOVE the nicknames for them, btw. They may just stick. ;)