Friday, June 15, 2007

How 'bout some worms to start?

Wendy and I went out to lunch at a local restaurant where they have great Shopska salads and fresh warm garlic bread. Mmmm. What I didn't know was that they offered worms as an appetizer! Well, at least that's what the menu said.

You know what's even funnier about this, though, was that Wendy pointed it out to me and I still didn't get it. My brain must have been automatically compensating because as she pointed to it I replied something like, "Yes, Warm Starters. They're pretty good too." Seriously, took me a minute or two to get it!

The thing is, Wendy was looking at things with fresh eyes (she's only been in country less than a month). My eyes failed to notice maybe because after being here almost 5 years I've perhaps gotten used to things and/or automatically compensate. So that's why she saw "worm" and I thought "warm."

Looking with fresh eyes is a good thing, especially when you pick out details you'd not seen before. It's also preferable to not become so comfortable that your eyes pass things over, simply accept or compensate for what's missing or wrong.

Well, we didn't end up getting any "worm starters" but the Shopska and garlic bread were fantastic as usual. Several people have asked me what a Skopska is, so I took a picture.

Shopskas are a staple of the diet here and one of my personal favorites. It's made from tomatoes, cucumbers (English) and feta cheese. Sometimes onions and/or green peppers will be added as well. I've tried making them in the US, but the feta just isn't the same (too salty) and, well, Balkan atmosphere must add some of the charm as well.

Well, in the end we had great conversation, great lunch... and no worms. :)

For other great English translation related things, check out Engrish.com.

0 comments: