Wednesday, June 13, 2007

One "Ragamuffin" Reflecting

Oh to have a life that is "an untarnished success story," and "an unbroken upward spiral towards holiness." This week has been one of those weeks where I'm painfully aware of just how not true that is, and how far I've yet to grow.


Today's devotion out of "Reflections for Ragamuffins" by Brennen Manning (p.165) was quite well-timed and encouraging to me personally, so I thought I'd share. Here's what Mr. Manning had to say...
"There is a myth flourishing in the church today that has caused incalculable harm--once converted, fully converted. In other words, once I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, an irreversible, sinless future beckons. Discipleship will be an untarnished success story; life will be an unbroken upward spiral toward holiness. Tell that to poor Peter who, after three times professing his love for Jesus on the beach, and after receiving the fullness of the Spirit at Pentecost, was still jealous of Paul's apostolic success.

"Often I have been asked, "Brennan, how is it possible that you became an alcoholic after you got saved?" It is possible because I got battered and bruised by loneliness and failure, because I got discouraged, uncertain, and guilt ridden and took my eyes off Jesus. Because the Christ encounter did not transfigure me into an angel. Because justification by grace through faith means I have been set in right relationship with God, not made the equivalent of a patient etherized on a table."

He concludes with Romans 12:3 "For by the grace given to me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you."

It's really distasteful coming up against ones own character flaws, weaknesses, sin, or "tarnish" and to see just how much one still has to grow. Yet, I'm just so much more grateful for Jesus, my Savior, and desire just that much more to submit to His tranforming work in my life. To be more like Him.

Heb 12:2-32 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. NIV

0 comments: