Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Prayed for Rain

Friday evening I emailed out a newsletter where I chatted a bit about all the heat and fires that have been ravaging the Balkans in the past couple of weeks and the need for prayer--especially those who have no escape from the heat. Then I said, "What we really need is some rain."

The next morning I woke up to hear the delightful pitter-patter of raindrops on the tin roofs of the surrounding buildings. It didn't last long, but of course my first thought was, "Wow! I just asked people to pray last night!" and "How cool are You, God?!" It stayed cloudy the rest of the day, and then on Sunday the steady, cool, rain began and went all the way through Monday afternoon.


This rain is much needed as is the temperature drop (it's been fluxuating between the upper 50's and low 70's). A much needed change from the dry and dusty 115+ we had just a couple weeks ago. During the heat-wave, fires destroyed thousands of acres throughout the Balkans (pictures are from a fire in Corinth, Greece that had been burning for 3-days before they were finally able to put it out). According to CNN and other news agencies, 500 people died in Hungary due to the extreme heat (mostly elderly and those with respiratory problems). In Kosovo, due to the dry winter and lack of rain, there is a shortage of water and has to be rationed. Again, this cooling weather and rain is a much needed change.


Thank you for praying.

Now it's possible that rain was already in the forecast before I asked people to pray. I don't know, I didn't catch the news that day. But I will still thank God for answering our prayers. He knew our needs even before we even asked and sent the rain. :)
Please let's continue to pray for the many who lost homes, property or loved ones as a result of the recent heatwave and fires.



0 comments: