Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Walking through a protest -- just to get home

So, last night I found myself unwittingly in the midst of a protest... Not only did I find myself in the midst of it, but had to ask a riot policeman to please let me through just so I could get home!

Boy was my heart pounding! You see, there was a lot of banging and crashing going on in addition to the yelling, whislting, chanting, etc. The banging/crashing was from kids who'd decided to vandalize a couple of vehicles (including a police car) as well as to tear down a construction site fence. Anyways, I did make it home safely. :)

At issue was the continuing name dispute over the constitutional name of Republic of Macedonia and Greece blocking it for various reasons... forcing the country to be called by the temporary name of "Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" aka FYROM. Officials have been meeting in Athens in negotiations over this, thus the protest demonstration in Skopje and the riot police and soldiers just in case things got out of hand.

Here's a video clip that I took so that you can experience this with me.

Also, here's a link to a website that has an article that explains this whole name-dispute far better than I can:

http://www.mia.com.mk/portal/page?_pageid=113,166290&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&VestID=36272717&prikaz=3

1 comments:

Brenda said...

http://jungle-hut.blogspot.com/2008/02/overheard.html
Take a look at this link for another perspective on protests. :)