Monday, March 2, 2009

"You Are Macedonian Like Me!"


Really?? Yes, just one week before returning to the US for a spell I find out I am (or can be) Macedonian! :::tongue only half-firmly planted in cheek::: OK, let me explain ;)

Here in Macedonia, a foreigner cannot have a bank account without a current valid visa (with the account being frozen once the visa expires). As I have a new visa expiration date, I went to the bank on Friday to give them my updated information.

Confusion ensued as I dutifully handed the clerk my foreigners "lichna carta."

The gal just couldn't understand my inquiry about needing to update my visa info even after referencing with her supervisor and showing them my ID. I found out later that this was not a language barrier issue, but of course I thought it was and so I asked to speak to someone in English. She deferred to her supervisor.

He too was not sure of my question as he said, "There is no problem with the account," in response to our questions about making sure the account does not get frozen due to not having my current visa info. He continued, "you are free to withdraw and deposit up to 10,000 Euros each month." That, of course, had me question further because up until that point I thought that foreigner accounts had a limit of 2,000 Euros. (Not that I necessarily work with those large of numbers. I was just noticing that there was a difference in the standard limit for foreigners).

When I questioned the amount the supervisor then involved the bank manager. Several minutes passed as the clerk went back and forth between computer checks, taking and returning my passport, ID and bank book and discussing things with the bank manager. In the end the manager came over to me and expressed the source of the confusion.

"You see," he began, "if you come to the bank with this," gesturing with my passport, "you are a foreigner." "But," he continued, "if you hand us this," holding up my lichna carta aka Macedonian ID, "you are Macedonian like me!"

Ha! Who knew!

In the end we settled that I am a foreigner and they updated the account with the appropriate info. It did get me thinking though. Hmm.... am I feeling more Macedonian or American today.....?

0 comments: