Thursday, March 26, 2009

Culture Shock... er... adjustment to the US


Aha! And you thought I'd dropped off the face of the earth! ;) Actually, I've been adjusting to life back in the US and enjoying some wonderful time with family, friends and my church. I "got off the boat" so-to-speak three weeks ago today and each of those weeks was full of things to get used to again (or be excited to have access to):
  • wall-to-wall carpet!
  • kitchen islands!
  • green green well-manicured lawns
  • lots and lots of walking trails and amazing parks
  • press and seal! (what an amazing invention!)
  • ziplocks-a-plenty
  • sidewalks that you can actually walk on
  • no parking on sidewalks -- the car must be in the gutter with not even a tire sneaking up on the sidewalk
  • no yellow light to let you know the green light is coming
  • wide-open spaces... aka "big sky", rolling hills, cows and wild horses
  • public restrooms don't have squatties, but do have TP and soap
  • having to drive to the store 2-4 miles away rather than just walking 10-feet out the front door
  • salad spinners
  • California golden poppies! (though I still love the red ones in the Balkans)
  • prices! things are soo expensive...
  • too many choices of everything I didn't know I needed!
  • pepper jack and cheddar!
  • Chipotle Tabasco sauce (really, chipotle anything!)
  • gas at $2.20 a gallon (intead of $8!!)
  • big wide-open parking lots and many many places to park!
  • defensive driving rather than offensive
  • pedestrians have right-of-way
  • being able to understand all conversations around me as I walk in a store, down the street, or sit in a restaurant
  • wild turkey crossings

OK, that's enough for now. There are a lot more, but perhaps I'll save them for a later blog. :) As I am in California now my blog will take on a distinct California flavor (with a few other states thrown in for extra seasoning), though I'll still try to connect it to live in the Balkans in some manner. Either way, I hope you enjoy this change of pace (like I am).

Carolyn from California

2 comments:

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

It's good to hear that you are "re-adjusting" so well. It sounds like you are having fun. Keep it up. :-)

LeesOnTheGo said...

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying being home. I hope it's restful. I got a chuckle out of your list of things to re-adjust to/appreciate. As a fellow CA native it's the poppies in spring that I miss the most. The red ones here are beautiful...but not the same.

Enjoy! And keep us posted.