Friday, July 2, 2010

Empty Nest

This morning I woke up to find that the pigeon's had abandoned their nest on my balcony. Between mom and dad they'd dutifully incubated the eggs for over 23 days and were never away from the nest more than a few minutes.

When I looked outside this morning the pigeon was hovering nearby and looking down at the nest, but after an hour it was clear they'd given up on them hatching. So that left me with the sad duty of disposing of the eggs. =( I did candle them and found that one was never fertilized and the second was only half-developed. Sad day indeed.

A couple of hours later the mama pigeon came back, hopped into the nest, rummaged around a little bit and then flew off and didn't return. Now comes the big decision for me. Do I destroy the nest and plant a couple varieties of mint in the planter.... or do I wait and see if the pigeon's decide to try again. Honestly, after almost a month of watching and waiting to see the little baby pigeons hatch, grow and fly off I'm tempted to do the latter.... hmm.... what to do with the empty nest.... what to do.... (rhetorical)....

2 comments:

Mya said...

I hope the birds do not feel a sense of grief about their lost as much as we are saddened by their lost. I have a blue bird nest that had a lot of activity during what I guess was the nest building period. When everything settled down I only saw mama blue once in awhile when she would dart in and out. Then...nothing. Never saw her or any little ones takimg a test flight. Haven't had the heart to open the box to see what happened.

Will you light a sparkler for the 4th?

Lv2Hike said...

Thanks. The pigeon's seem to be wanting to try to nest again, but time will tell. And you can be sure I'll blog on it. lol

No fireworks or sparklers for the 4th this year. We did enjoy a picnic, though, and it was a lovely day for it. :)