Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day - "So who did you vote for?"


When the "Terminator" won the "Total Recall" election in my home state of California, I was in Croatia. There and back home in Macedonia the news of the "Governator" was met with bemusement. In 2004 the world was watching but the contest between Bush and Kerry was couched in appropriate measure amidst the rest of the daily news. 2008, however, has been a much different experience. The interest is keen and dominates the news both locally and internationally. Everyone has a strong opinion on this election and most are quick to share it--especially as today, November 4th, 2008, loomed on the horizon.

In this past year I cannot tell you how many conversations I've had with locals and internationals about this election. They happened in cabs, corner stores, old town streets, hair salon, church, cafes, homes, etc... Politics is a favorite subject of most Balkan people--especially American politics. My colleagues have had similar experiences as well. These were not conversations we ever sought out, yet inevitably when someone finds out or knows that you're an American they take the opportunity to express their opinion and then are anxious to extract from you your thoughts about who is going to win and who you are going to vote for.

My hairstylist, for instance, knew I was a Californian and so considered it his mission to "convert" me to the "right" party, Republican, and to support McCain. Conversely there were others who were determined to persuade me from my wayward Republican ways and to be a faithful young Democrat and to vote for Obama. When I went to the post office to airmail my official absentee ballot, the workers handled it with such care, with a sense of great import, and then they too began to pepper me with questions as to who I voted for.

Tonight as I locked up the office and headed home I could not help but reflect upon all this and the keen interest this election holds worldwide. Some countries, like Bulgaria, even held mock elections today while people in other countries are having all night parties to watch the election returns. It's a bit strange to see such great international interest in the US Presidential election and then a bit humbling to realize that I actually had the privilege to cast a ballot. The world seems so small at this moment and no matter who wins there is a sense that we are all living in a vastly historic moment, a world moment, and the excitement of all is palpable.

As I write this I confess that I've got CNN International humming in the background, and no, I'm not going to divulge who I voted for. My answer to you is the same as it was to all those previous askers: it's between me, God and my ballot and I ask you to please respect that. I will, however, say this: Let us be in prayer for our President-elect, no matter who he may be, to be a strong, wise, grace-filled and discerning leader. Likewise, as this election does hold such worldwide interest, let us remember that in broadened prayer as well.

0 comments: