Friday, March 21, 2008

Easter and Building Obstructions

Last night I was enjoying a cup-o-Joe on my balcony while listening to the melodic pat-pitter-pat of the rain on the tin-roof buildings. Looking over the city I noticed that besides the clouds obscuring the cross on the hill, my view of the church was almost gone as well. When did that happen??

For the past six months or so I've been watching this building slowly but surely block my view of the church and I'm quite sad to see it go. You see, that is the largest Orthodox church here in Macedonia and where many many cultural and religious events take place throughout the year. I've so enjoyed being able to see the twinkling candle lights on Easter eve, the wedding parties dancing in the courtyard of the church, or the protests blocking the intersection. But the view is gone now and it happened slowly, brick by brick, tie-rod by tie-rod, until all that's left is the cross on the top.

As I pondered this obstruction of view the thought struck me of how I don't want any such barriers between me and the Lord. I'm challenged by the illustration of that building to daily examine my life, to not let those little compromises (brick) or unconfessed sin (tie-rod) build up... to remain completely open to Him, my Savior. Unlike this building in the city that is not coming down, the obstructions between the Lord and me can be joyously demolished.

He is risen! He is risen indeed! Христос воскресна! Навистина воскрена!

0 comments: