Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Serbia Recognizes Kosovo

Imagine my shock when scrolling through the days headlines for the Balkans I came across an article entitled, "Serbia Recognizes Kosovo's Independence."

I immediately clicked on the link to read the full article http://balkaninsight.com/en/main/blogs/9038/ while simultaneously Skyping to a colleague the news. As I began to read the article I even called my boss to share the news of this amazing turn of events!

"01 April 2008 Authorities in Belgrade decided to end the last conflict in Balkans by recognising Kosovo as an independent and sovereign state... Serbia’s government agreed to recognise independence of Kosovo, in its regular annual meeting on Tuesday, government officials confirmed."

Only as I was repeating this news outloud did it occur to me that it was April Fool's Day, yet I pressed on, despite my bosses chuckles, saying, "And no, this is not an April Fool's joke." "I'm serious! It's a real news article," I protested, even reading some of the prose aloud, only to be answered by more amuzed chuckles.

Then I came to the last paragraph:

"And if for some strange reason, you haven’t start laughing until now, you better check the date on your calendar again. And yes, this can probably be a real news story on April 1st."

Doh! I completely and totally fell for it!! But it sounded so real! Apparently in the desire to see stability and peace in the Balkans I checked my brain at the door and fell for this... this completely unbelievable news considering the tensions, riots, protests and such since Kosovo declared independence.

I haven't fallen so hard for an April Fool's joke since my former boss had me convinced that our regional boss and wife were having a baby in thier, uh, advanced years. And thus the strains to an old familiar tune ring out again in my foolish honor, "'Cause I'm a blonde, ya ya ya..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was about to ask Gerco if he had heard more about this recognition before reading your post! :(

Brenda said...

I tagged you on my blog. . .look at April 11