Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Shower Interrupted

Yesterday we visited a quaint walled medieval village in France named Riquesihr. Now the point of this blog is not to tell you about the village. That will happen on a different day. No, the point of this blog is on how the day almost ended before it even really got started.

In France they have these porta-potties that self-clean. Seriously!! Well, I paid my 30 Euro cents and stepped in. The walls were all shiney metal and the fragrance of disinfectant still hung in the air. The only problem was that there was no TP.

No worries. I'm from the Balkans so I know that you never leave home without a small packet of tissues. (A lesson I learned the hard way I might add.)

Anyways, I opened the door and asked Val to please bring me my purse so I could get the tissue. Tissue in hand I was about to shut the door again when I hear Val go, "Uh... oh... Wait!"

You see, if I'd shut the door the automatic cleaning cycle would have begun and I would have been douced with water and disinfectant!

Later she admitted that it had crossed her mind not to say anything, but quickly decided she should. Boy am I glad she did. As soon as that door closed the flood gates were opened. It was really loud and sounded like a torrent in there! And I'd almost found myself stuck right in the middle of it!

Christine joked later that if not for the disinfectant it would make a great practical joke to play. It sure would have made a funnier story if Val hadn't said anything to me... but knowing myself I doubt I would have been laughing until hours or even days later (especially if I the door locked and I couldn't get out). Still, it would have been funny, but I for one am so glad that shower a-la-France was interrupted.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow! I learned something new. . a little fact to file in case I am ever in France ;)

Sarah said...

That's hilarious, Carolyn! So, did you go with the bathroom door open or have to pay again?

Lv2Hike said...

It became the 60 cent bathroom for me. lol