Saturday, September 6, 2008

Kilt's in Skopje



"Gledaj gledaj!" the taxi driver said while gesturing to the group of men on the sidewalk this morning as I was on my way to the gym. "Scottie." He was pointing out something you don't see every day here in Skopje: a group of men wearing kilts! And so the World Cup qualifier's begin here in Skopje with a match between Scotland and Macedonia.

OK, quick question for those of you "in-the-know." Why are qualifiers starting now?? Call me a futball ignorant (even though I did play center half for 4 years when I was younger) but isn't the next World Cup, like, 2 years away??

After working out at the gym this morning I went to Ramstore to do some grocery shopping, but first I stopped in the food court to get some lunch (1 hr interval walking on the treadmill and 20 laps in the pool and I'm hungry!). I'm also here with my laptop taking advantage of the internet free zone to update my laplop. Frankly, I'm finding it quite entertaining to be here as the Macedonia-Scotland game is on the big screen at the sports bar next to the Finger Food restaurant where I'm at (simply the best burritos in town).

[Don't you just love the "Coke-Light" served in a "Pepsi" glass??]

"Makedonija..." sung out as the anthem opened the game and just about 6 minutes later the crowd errupted "YAAAAAAHHHHHH!" and "GOOOOOOAAAAAALLLL!" for Macedonia. You know, a couple days ago I talked about cultural moments? Well, this is another one. Can you see the smile on my face?

Uh oh, the crowd is whistling and growing agitated... sounds like the Scot's are close to a goal of their own. Well, no matter who wins this game I must say that it was entertaining to see dozens of kilts around town. It's just not something you see every day here.


Oops, there goes the crowd again in excited cheers... ::::taking a sip of Coke-Light:::: maybe I'll go take a look. :)

Update later from an Internet Cafe: The City Stadium errupted in cheers as Macedonia just won the game 1:0! "Beep beeeeeep beeeeeppp!" go the car horns now down the main street (Partizanska) as the football fans cruise the streets, hanging out their windows, cheering and waving their ball-clubs flags and scarves to celebrate the victory. Likewise the sidewalks are now full of fans returning from the game and blowing their horns and waving flags as well. I think my neighborhood just may be a little noisy tonight. :)

1 comments:

Brenda said...

People in Paraguay are crazy now about the eliminatory games for the World Cup as well. But its lots of fun.