Monday, September 29, 2008

The Last Day of Summer

They say there are just two seasons here in Macedonia: summer and winter. Boy do I believe it!

Just two weeks ago we enjoyed the late summer warm air next to a river to celebrate a baptism. It was warm and wonderful in all aspects of the meaning. And you can see from the picture that Macedonians really know how to grill well! And nothing surpasses the summer produce either--those locally grown tomatoes were simply delicious! Picnics are also a big thing here--starting with Picnic Day (or May 1st) through to the last days of summer. :) And as it turned out, this picnic was indeed on the last day of summer.


The next day, Sunday, it rained most of the day but cleared up just in time for the wedding at church. Then by Tuesday I was digging out a suitcase full of winter clothes from my closet, retiring open-toes shoes and capri's to a storage box and wearing long pants for the first time in months.

Now, two weeks later, I have a cold, my lungs are dry and my throat scratchy and as I drink the last of my Alka Seltzer cold medicine I'm remembering that lazy joyous picnic and baptism by the river with a bit of wistful longing for a little more summer. As it is, city heat doesn't normally get turned on until October 15th (just missing my birthday btw)... though it would have been nice if it were turned on yesterday... It's hard to believe how quickly the cold embraced us. I mean, from upper 30s (90s) to single digits (40s & 50s) in literally days!

Oh how I miss California's Indian Summer. Sigh... Welcome to the Balkans and to living in the land of two seasons! :) Then again, each new season has it's joys. The cold weather means it's time to roast peppers and make Ivar! Also, since the cold came so early this year... maybe they'll be lots of snow this winter too. Now wouldn't that be fun! ;)

0 comments: