Monday, January 5, 2009

I don't know everything... How shocking!

They stuck a needle in me and drew blood! That was something I'd successfully avoided for the 6+ years that I've been here in the Balkans. Unfortunately that all came to an end today with a trip to the doctor after having a persistent cough for over a week now.

I've not had a cold, flu, stuffy nose, temperature, or other such malady so I'd just assumed it was my asthma acting up because of the cold weather. Usually, though, my inhalers clear the problem, and after a week it was clear that something else must have been going on. The results of the blood test showed that I either had a tumor or a bacterial infection. My doctor concluded it was the latter(!!) and prescribed an antibiotic.

This is where the lesson comes in for me. You see, I've lived with asthma for just about 30 years now and so I am very familiar with what the triggers are (environmental, dietary, etc), know to keep calm when having an attack, to let my inhalers do their job, and know what my lungs feel like when it's serious and I need to see a doctor.

The problem is that over time I've gotten used to living with such a high level of discomfort and have often simply ridden it out (sometimes even acute asthma attacks) when I should have gone to the doctor. Such is the case this time. I should have seen a doctor last week when the cough first hit and made my voice sound like a frog. The doctor chastised me for this, though she was very kind about it, and made me promise to come see her immediately should something like this happen again. Yes ma'am. Lesson learned: I don't know everything I thought I did.

On another note, I must say that I am SOOOO grateful for Remedika, which is a hospital here in Skopje. This is the same place I'd gone for the stitches in my foot two February's ago. The staff there are so nice and helpful. AND, with regards to sterility and cleanliness they are tops! For instance, today when going to tape the cotton ball over the puncture point the nurse accidentally dropped the tape on the ground. It immediately went in the trash bin and she pulled out a brand new one! Again, I am so thankful that such a place exists here in the event that one does need medical attention... and I promise that next time I won't wait so long to see a doctor.

1 comments:

Brenda said...

Hope you are feeling better soon!