Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Just a "little" pepper...

Another local specialy to be savored here in the Balkans is the doner (think gyro in a bun or wrap).

While showing a potential worker couple around old town on Friday we decided to indulge in a doner for a light lunch since we were having a larger BBQ with the team later that evening.

When the doners arrived they looked wonderful (see pic). Being a good Balkaness, though, I decided to add some of the local flavor, aka red pepper.

As I began to shake lightly I commented to Lisa, "I really like this stuff." No sooner were the words out of my mouth and hanging ominously in the air did the cap fly off and the entire contents of HOT red pepper covered my doner in a blanket of red.

Oh the irony!!

Lisa and I bust out laughing and couldn't stop. However, Rob hadn't heard my comment and so was completely lost as to why Lisa and I were busting a gut to the point of crying over red pepper spilling everywhere.

Between continued giggles I shook off as much as I could and then enjoyed a VERY SPICY doner (and a BIG glasss of water to follow). Good thing I like spice... and I love moments like this (even when embarrassing) because they season life with laugher. :) Thanks to Lisa for the pic below that captured this very funny moment.

Footnote language blooper: While ordering I quickly discovered that my Macedonian wasn't working too well... when the owner said he was Albanian I excitedly said one of the five words I know, "Ditineemir"... as soon as it was out of my mouth I realized my mistake. Instead of "hello" ("mirdeeta") I'd said "Goodbye!" Twas OK, though, they appreciated the effort and there were hearty laughs all around. :)

2 comments:

jered said...

That food all looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

I had the same experience with the classes at the Ringjallja Center last month. I blurted out "naten e mere" to every student that came to class! Only later did I realize why the students looked at me with that weird look.

-James