Friday, June 6, 2008

Another day in my life...

Today is Friday and I'm glad it's the weekend. This week my head has been so in the books that I think I've got numbers permanently tatooed to my eyes... at the very least I'm really tired. So it should be no surprise that I woke up late this morning. It was late enough that I just washed up, threw on clothes, checked my hair and face for presentableness and rushed out the door... still wiping sleep from my eyes.

Once at the office my computer hadn't even finished booting when someone came looking for one of my colleagues. A quick phone call later and he was out the door to go meet that colleague for coffee. By this time my computer had finally finished booting... yeah, it's been running slow lately.

Todays work began with a check of email to find the last two reimbursement reports in the inbox, thus enabling me to do some more prep. As two of the 3 team leaders are out of town (seeing their kids graduate and/or to bring them home from boarding school) and won't be back to work until mid-month I prioritized the reports for the one team who's leader is still in town.

That said, this month is the first month of the transition time and I'm finding that I only had a SMALL clue of how complicated and detailed this change would be. You see, last month at Forum the field decided to move towards having three autonomous teams rather than one field. That means that instead of a Field Director we have three team leaders with whom I coordinate the bookkeeping for those specific teams... then I coordinate with a Team Coordinator for the final sign-off for the field books as a whole (the three teams combined).

In other words: 4 financial reports instead of 1, 3 different reimbursement reports (catered to each team), working with leaders via email rather than in person... and that's just the start for closing this month...

Also on the "to do" list for me right now is the preparation of the field books for the next budget year. That means completely re-doing the trial balance and account numbers so as to accomodate the three-team-in-one model... which means designing new upload reports, petty cash reports, procedures manuals as well as check-lists for the TL's who are new to the approving process.

Even as I write this, I haven't even scratched the surface of the details... and I'm pretty sure this blog is quite choppy... but it's an attempt to give you a brief window into my bookkeeping life right now. :)

These are a lot of details to juggle... and in the midst of this I'm also singing on worship team, reviewing the center books, saying goodbye to colleagues headed home for HA (and closing out thier accounts for the year) and visiting with church peoples.

Needless-to-say, I covet your prayers during this time and as I seek to support these teams as their bookkeeper in the best and most efficient way possible... even more so, to use the skills God's given me to bring Him the most glory. To give Him my best. Thanks for your prayers. More updates to come.

Image source:
Cat: http://emmathehumblekitty.blogspot.com/2007/09/my-day.html
Desk dude: http://www.aerohead.com

0 comments: