Friday, June 27, 2008

The Spin Cycle and a Deutsch Mark

Guess what the meister (aka handyman) found in my washing machine last night? A 1978 Deutsch Mark! Apparently this explains why my washer never really worked well and was the cause of it failing this week (and the laundry subsequently piling up... eeek).

When I first moved into this apartment 4 years ago the machine wasn't working right and so a call to the landlord brought a meister to look at it and "fix" it. It did work a little better after that, but in 4 years there have been several meisters to come and none found this coin... until last night.

And boy was it battered an bruised... the picture detail is thanks to my camera and Picasa, but in reality the etching is almost completely worn away. My guess is that this coin must have been stuck in the machine causing all sorts of havoc for at least 6 years because Deutch Mark's haven't been in use in Kosovo since 2002.

The washing machine's not fixed yet... he will be back sometime tonight... I hope he comes soon enough so I can go to my colleagues birthday party. It's CQ's first here on the field. Though to finally have a working washing machine I think she'll understand if I'm a little late. ;)

1 comments:

Brenda said...

How interesting. I frequently have a malfunctioning washing machine because of coins, but never as interesting as this :)