Friday, June 13, 2008

Melancholy Moment... missing family

I just got off the phone with my nephews, 9 and 13. I was missing them and decided to call... and was rewarded with a long conversation with both of them on the line.

I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about their plans for the summer, working at Dad's shop for some spending cash, learning about mountain bikes, what they liked about the new Indianna Jones movie and what they thought was weird, and how they enjoy riding bikes but not for competition, and why is it that adults always think babys are so cute... and their mischevious teasing about things like my "mouse" hiccups.

"Hey, Aunt Carol.... EEEK! Eeek!"

Can you see my smile?? It's pretty big.

Sigh. Sitting here at an Internet cafe having just enjoyed a wonderful connection with two very special boys it's hard to believe I've missed so much of their lives. They were 4 and 8 when I first came to the Balkans.... now one will be turning double-digits this summer while the other one spends his last lazy summer before freshman year of high school.

I never intended nor wanted to be an out-of-state Aunt. I had out-of-state Aunts and grandmother and felt like I never really got to know them as well as I wanted... now here I am, not only out-of-state, but out of country and across the pond on the other side of the planet. Oh how grateful I am for Skype and simply being able to have connections with my beloved nephews like I just did. Even though I'm far away I still want to know them, what makes them happy, sad, to see them grow into young men and to be an encouragement to them if even far away.

Incidentally, despite the distance I am blessed with a dear relationship with my own Aunt. Why just this morning Auntie M emailed me to say that she was praying for me and proud of me and encouraged me to keep doing the work I've been called to. Can't tell you how much that means... especially now when feeling the ache of missing the nephews and again remembering the cost and sacrifice that this calling has meant. Yet that email from my Aunt, so well timed, encourages me so much.... especially to keep praying for my nephews (much like she has prayed for me), knowing that prayer knows no distance and that I can trust them completely to the Fathers hands.

I would ask you, though, to please remember to pray for me and other overseas workers who have left family behind, especially those who may not completely understand or be on board with us being here in the first place.

Now I'm off to go reminisce over nephew photos and spend some "knee-time" on their behalf. Thank you for sharing with me in this moment of melancholy.

0 comments: