Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Symphony of Peace


















This statue has always fascinated me. Why was such an seemingly terrible piece of art in the middle of town? It just seems so violent, the birds crushing one another against the world. The image always reminded me of seeing birds fighting in mid-flight or of the little bird that would follow and torment a crow while flying. It wasn't until this past January 1st, while strolling around town in the new-fallen snow, that I actually stopped to read the plaque.


"Симфонија на Мирот" when translated means "Symphony of Peace." Knowing the given name of this piece of art simply confused me more. It just seemed so incongruous with the image of doves pile-driving each other against the planet.

Yesterday after I picked up the mission vehicle from the repair service I again passed this statue and again pondered it's seemingly mixed message. Then it hit me. Doves are widely viewed as symbols of peace. There are three of them, and as this is an Orthodox community, most likely represent the Holy Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit). The fact that they seem to be crushing each other against a globe is more likely meant to be a pressing of peace into the world, perhaps as if to infuse mankind with eternal peace from God Himself. And further it then makes sense to me that this artistic "prayer for peace" be situated in the center of a city, where East meets West, in the middle of the Balkans where there has been millenia of conflict.

People long for peace to transform their lives and their communities. True and ultimate peace comes from the Prince of Peace who can renew and fill hearts and transform lives eternally. Would you join me in praying for such peace?

0 comments: