Friday, August 22, 2008

Turn up the heat!


The office supply store owner walked in and asked his employees, with a touch of odd curiosity and disbelief in his voice, "Why do you have the heat on??" Not an odd question when you consider the outside temp was already into the upper 90's at 9:30am!

As I'd scurried around the store this morning to purchase binders, dividers and A-4 paper for the field office I'd thought it was a little warm, but since the AC-unit was on I simply thought it didn't work that well. Well, it turns out that the gals honestly thought it was on cool, but as the owner pointed out (literally on the remote) that they'd actually had it on heat! Then to add insult to injury, when he switched the AC back to cool it wouldn't kick in!

Le Le!

Honestly, the whole situation was very funny--especially since the government has been issuing heat-warnings for today through this weekend as the temps are expected to top 40C (100+F)... the poor girls were smiling, a bit embarrassed by the whole thing, yet you could tell they all thought it was pretty funny/ironic too.

I did successfully (though barely) hold my laughter until I reached the taxi and shut the door. Then it was all I could do to blurt out the news through my laughter to my driver. "Oh! It's so much cooler now," I chuckled while wiping the sweat from brow.

He too immediately burst out into hearty guffaws and commented that today of all days was not a day to make that mistake. "Ha ha! And they even had the front door closed so that the heat would not escape," he joked and then continued. "You will find the heat escapes quite nicely from my cab... it much cooler for you, I'm sure." I continued to fan my face as we chuckled about it all the way to the office. He's one of my regular drivers, so I'm sure we'll laugh about this for months to come. :)

Don't you just love those funny moments in life that happen so unexpectedly? It's great to have a really good laugh once in a while, and this one just made my morning. :)

On a side note, just to give you a GCF perspective on the items that I purchased this morning: Week 2 of my GCF Walk more than covered the items pictured. :) Thank you for your giving to the GCF that makes purchases like this possible.

0 comments: