Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Apricots & Meeting New People

Walking home yesterday in the waning light and heat of the day I came across a couple people picking apricots from a tree weighed heavy by them. On a whim I stopped and asked if I could take a picture of the tree because it was so beautiful. They graciously accepted and from the look on Marija's face (the mans mom) I think she found the fact a foreigner wanted to take a picture of a tree quite amusing.

I showed them the picture as she handed me a handful of the sweet fruit to try. "Се чист!" Branislov declared proudly to me as I tried one. Oh it was so good! Then I asked if perhaps they'd like me to take their picture and bring them back copies. They got excited and gathered together around a small palm tree with his wife Slavitsa for a family photo. I asked if they wanted any others and they excitedly called their children over from the playground across the street!

The young boy, Andre, was about 10 years old and stood as proudly and manly as he could for his portrait. When the 7 year old Marija (named for her grandmother) arrived with her другарки (best friends) her older brother insisted he'd like a picture with just his little sister. The brother put a protective yet proud arm on her shoulders and she looked like she thought her brother was a real live super-hero. I have to tell you, it was a very sweet moment as you could just tell how much these siblings adored each other. Then came little Marija's turn with her BFF's. All the while I was taking photos I enjoyed a nice conversation with Branislov and his family.

Just before I bade my goodbye Slavitsa handed me a bag full of the wonderful golden fruit and I promised to be back in a day or two with the photos.

Meeting and chatting with this lovely family totally made my day. Macedonians are some of the nicest people and I enjoy them so very much. I was also thankful for this special moment with locals because I've been missing contact with the people lately as I'm more involved in the International church (another amazing group of people, btw) and with walking now I'm also missing out on some great taxi conversations. And yet because of a whim for a photo of a gorgeous tree I made a new connection with a lovely family.

Who knows what other new people I may meet along the way or what golden fruit may come from it one day. Thank you for walking with me.

Day 6: $19.08 and counting.

*******
Weather note: It hit 100+ yesterday... while today the river wind "повардарец" (similar to the Delta Breeze of Sacramento) has come in and cooled things down to the wonderful mid-to-upper 70's. Ahh! Walking to work this morning was SOOOO nice!

1 comments:

Brenda said...

Those peaches look great! Keep up the good work, these are interesting posts.