Tuesday, July 29, 2008

If you build it in a corn field... it won't float

Last week my friend and I drove from Berat to the seaside city of Vlore in Albania. It was a beautiful drive and at times the sites quite entertaining. One thing in particular that had us laughing for kilometers was a boat-house.

Now at this point you may be thinking, "OK, what's so unusual about that?" Well, you're not alone. Each person I told this story to had the same question... that is until I showed the picture.

You see, what makes this... er... boat special was that is was made of concrete, in the shape of a small cruise-ship (or gunner?) and about 100 miles from the sea in the middle of a cornfield!?! [Pictured below is the other side of the road that shows we're in a large valley (also notice the bunker in the middle... bunkers were everywhere, but that's another blog. :)]

Have you ever seen such a sight? It totally reminded me of the movie "Field of Dreams" and the famous quote, "If you build it he will come." There was what looked like a small restaurant next door to the, uh, boat-house so perhaps it will be a hotel someday? If you build it... overnighters will come? Tee hee.

This was such the funny sighting that I had to share. :) Thank you for continuing to walk with me here in the Balkans. Thank you too for your faithful prayer and giving to the GCF that enables me and others to serve here.

Day 14: $40.21 and counting

0 comments: