Monday, July 28, 2008

Bananas & Cultural Differences

1 week and 922 kilometers later I'm back from Albania having had a terrific time with my friend who showed me all around where she grew up. I have many fun things to share over the next few days, but first up is an object lesson in cultural differences via the peeling of a banana.

How do you peel a banana? Until this week I only knew and practiced one way: grab the "handle" at the top and flick downward. Snap! goes the peel and viola! it's opened. Simply peel the remaining flaps and enjoy.

Well, on the trip to Albania I learned that's not the only way to peel a banana. As I was driving and didn't have hands free, my friend peeled a banana for me... by turning it upside down (or right-side up from her perspective.) Really? I'd never seen a banana peeled that way. And when I mentioned that to her she was just as surprised to find that I peel from what she considers the bottom, the handle to hold on to while eating.

It was a bit strange for me to eat this banana from the "wrong" side but I found it tasted just the same. :) Funny that. Cultural differences can sometimes turn your perspective upside down. The plus side, though, is that you learn there's more than one way to peel a banana. :)

Here's a fun video I found on YouTube showing that my friends way of peeling a banana is actually the easiest (and correct) way:





*******

I finished driving the mission vehicle today, so the tennies will be strapped on again tomorrow and will be walking all the way through August. Will you join me?

0 comments: