Thursday, July 3, 2008

Local Fish Flavor

I left my apartment at 8am this morning, a little late if I wanted to miss the heat, but I had a scheduled stop at a local fish market and wanted to be sure they were open.

If you haven't already guessed, I really enjoy taking photos, especially of local people and landscape. When I do take pictures of locals I always try to get them a copy. So, this morning I deliberately planned my route to go by this fish market. I placed the picture in my backpack and headed out the door to deliver this fun photo to these happy-looking gents on my way to work.

The man on the left looked at my strangely as I stopped in front of him with a smile of recognition and opened my backpack. But his demeanor totally changed when I gave him the photo. He couldn't stop looking at it. I told him that I was sorry this was so late in coming but that I am so happy to finally be able to give it to him. :)

In the picture you will notice the men standing proud in front of the white-ish fish in the middle. Well, that's the famed "Ohrid Trout" that is said to be found only in Lake Ohrid here in Macedonia. They even opened the glass case for me so I could get it in the picture. Now I have tried it once and didn't really like it, but I'm not that big a fan of trout anyways. The person I was with, though, loved it. So there you go! If you like trout come to Macedonia to try thier specialty. :)

::::language interlude::::

Another fish that's sold a lot of here is Carp.... the word for it in Macedonian is... um.... well, let's just say you switch the "a" with the "r". Really. I'm not joking. Good thing I don't like carp and so am never faced with having to order it in Macedonian. ;)

::::end language interlude::::

45 minutes after dropping off the photo and a nice conversation I arrived at the office in a panting red-faced pool of sweat. It was a very hot walk today. I must leave earlier in the morning next time.

Thank you for coming along with me and for your giving to the GCF. Like I mentioned at the beginning of this blog, I've saved our budget $8.60 so far. Are you willing to match that savings in giving??? Leave me a comment to let me know (annonymous, of course). Or maybe even leave a comment that you're praying. I'd appreciate the encouragement. :)

Day 3: $8.60 and counting

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carolyn,

I really appreciate your approach to the budget cuts. This is fun to read! I think it's great that you're making a positive appeal to all C&MA contingency to 'live the call together'. All of us on the field (Balkans, Mongolia, wherever) are feeling the crunch. You're daily journey is fun and encouraging! Kudos!

Bernie