Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Discovering bits of local history

This morning I decided to take a completely different way to work and discovered a couple of things.

First, in taking the path through the greenbelt I found the walk immensely more fun and much cooler than my usual route via the city streets.

Second, my path brought me to a small section of old cobblestone and the remainder of train tracks... blended into the modern asphalt. At first I thought it really strange to find these tracks leading to, well, nowhere, but then I remembered the Old Train station that was severly damaged in the 1963 earthquake that about leveled the city. These tracks must have connected to that station at one time.

Finally, I came across a WWII monument. I'd passed by this white structure daily for years, but it wasn't until I took a different walking-route to work that I actually was able to stop to take a look.

"Here fell the national hero of Yugoslavia: Kuzman Josifovski-Pitu on 25 Feb 1944 from blocade of the Bulgarian Facist Police."

He was only 29 years old. If you click on his pic it will take you to a website with his bio.

So interesting to me, these fragments of history blended into the modern cityscape... and you don't see them while driving or being in a taxi rushing by on the busy city street. You have to slow down to a walk.

Who knows what other gems I'll find this month as I explore new and different ways to walk my 2 miles to and from work.

Thanks for walking along with me and for your giving to the GCF.

GCF Walk Day 2: $6.45 and counting

1 comments:

jered said...

Very interesting. I like this sort of thing. And I'm sorry I don't comment more often. I read all your posts in my reader :)