Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Walking for the GCF

Today is the first day of the new VERY TIGHT budget year. In honor of that I'm doing a 1 month experiment and challenge you to join me in prayer or in matched giving to the GCF (or both).

It's 4 miles to the office and every day I take a taxi it costs $4.30 round trip. Taking the bus doesn't save anything as I'd have to take two buses... and balance a crowded hot bus against an AC'd taxi and the choice is always easy.

Well things change. As you've all heard, read or suspected, the budget has been necessarily cut by 40% for this coming year. Being a bookkeeper, I've seen first-hand the struggle our team leaders have had in trying to make our budget stretch as far as possible... and of course that does not factor in rising local costs or the falling dollar.

This brings me back to my work-related ground travel and the challenge I've set before myself and would now like to set before you on this first day of the new budget year:

I've dusted off my shoes and am planning to walk as much as possible both to and from work this month. Like I said, it's 4 miles round trip and considering that it can get upwards of 100 degrees here, it's not going to be easy. But I figure that even if I wimp out and take an AC'd taxi home I've still saved at least $2.15 by walking to work. Figuring that, I can save our budget anywhere from $43 to $86 this month.

Now here's the challenge to you: I will be keeping and posting a weekly tally of how much I've saved my ground travel budget and am wondering if you would be willing to match that savings with donations to the GCF? Please leave a comment on this blog (anonymous, of course) if you're willing to participate or even to pray for the finances that we (and other fields) have to go farther. We desire to be good stewards of what has been entrusted to us and to above all bring Him glory. :)

Now won't you walk with me?

1 comments:

Brenda said...

What a great idea! I'll be watching. . .